Drumojo, usually known as Mike!
My name is Mike Watson. I have been a kit drummer since the age of 13. I am still as passionate and excited about drums and percussion as when I started. I still play kit drums in a covers band called the BOF Band, we’ve been going nearly 30 years.
Over the last twenty years I have started collecting and learning about percussion. At the last count I have nearly 100 drum and percussion items including congas, bongos, timbales, djembes, samba set, assorted percussion, kit drums, V Drums and cymbals. I am also into original music composition using music technology including samplers, sequencers, synthesizers, digital recording and electronic drums and percussion.
I am a director of Wycombe Arts Centre a local community arts venue in my home town of High Wycombe.
I have interests in writing, performing and recording music of all types especially if there is lots of drums and percusssion. I am also passionate about Drum Circles and seeing the magic on people's faces when they start to see the groove coming together.
I was the Musical Director for the 2018 production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat at Wycombe Arts Centre.
Taken some years ago when I had hair and fewer chins! Seriously!
These five interlocking circles in the Celtic style represent the four dynamics of Drumojo: Time, Space, Friendship and Wellbeing brought together through the central circle of Collaboration and the outer circle of Love.
1. Time: From the time signature of music to the time of the year, to the time of our life, we must live with an eye to the clock and make best use of the gift of time we are given.
2. Space: The physical space we occupy as individuals but most importantly with others. We can meet online but nothing works as well as in person.
3. Friendship: Life with friends and relationships is what makes us tick. The sound of a single drum cannot beat the sound of us playing together in time and harmony.
4. Wellbeing: We all need health and fitness to enjoy our life to the full. We have a responsibility to our family and friends to be well and healthy.
5. Collaboration: It is through working and playing with other people, from like minded souls to those we are opposed that
we will make the greatest strides in life.
6. Love: Should underpin the true workings of the spiritual world and the way we engage with our fellow woman and man.